3 Steps to Combat Dry Skin this Winter
Counter the side-effects of harsh winter weather on your skin by using quality moisturizers, serums and face oils, in conjunction with these awesome tips & tricks!
As we head into the brisk winter months, your mind may drift to images of you curled up on the couch with a book and a cup of hot cocoa, or maybe you envision a walk outside during the first snowfall. But what about the dry skin and the dull appearances that can come with this time of year? Well, the good news is this can be combated with the right skin care routine! We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite tips and tricks, including product recommendations, techniques and routines in order to ensure that your skin is getting all the love it deserves this season.
Lifestyle Changes to Improve Skin Health in Winter
- Use a humidifier – Counteract the drying effects of your forced-air heaters and use a warm or cool mist humidifier! This will reintroduce moisture to the air which can help soothe and calm irritated skin. For even more of a boost, add some essential oils to your humidifier. We love lavender and eucalyptus oil for a spa-esque experience!
- Cut Your Hot Showers Short – We know how tempting it is in the cold winter months to just stand under the hot shower for minutes on end. But, hot water, especially on your face, could be the main thing drying out your skin. Extreme temperatures damage your skin’s moisture barrier, preventing it from locking in moisture it needs to remain soft and smooth.
- Hydrate Your Skin From the Inside Out – Foods that are rich in healthy fats help replenish your skin’s lipid barrier and protect against moisture loss. Try foods such as flax, avocado, nuts, and fish like salmon and sardines to access those healthy fats. In addition, supplements like Hydration from The Beauty Chef work to restore your body’s hydration levels. This miracle product does this by providing probiotics, natural electrolytes, and trace minerals! Not to mention it tastes great when added to a refreshing glass of cold water!
The Ultimate Winter Skin Care Routine for Your Face
- Cleanse – Adding or substituting an oil-based cleanser such as the Eminence Stone Crop Cleansing Oil, in addition or in place of your normal cleanser is beneficial to all skin types (yes, even oily skin!) Oil-based cleansers have the ability to draw out oil-based impurities, like stubborn makeup while simultaneously replenishing your skin with moisturizing ingredients such as sunflower oil and jojoba oil.
- Tone – Next up is toner, or as we like to think of it, the conditioner to your cleanse. A good toner, such as the Eminence Neroli Hydrating Mist, will add a base layer of hydration to your skin. This will allow your skin to stay moisturized for longer.
- Apply Essence – What is “essence”? A facial essence is a lightweight fluid, oftentimes compared to somewhere in between a toner and a serum, that is an amazing way to add hydration back into your skin during the winter months.
- Exfoliate – Exfoliating is the single best way to revive dull, winter skin, but remember, the cold, harsh weather of winter can also make your skin more reactive. Due to this, be sure your exfoliant whether chemical or physical is not overly abrasive. (Pssst… Need help finding the right exfoliator for your skin? Schedule a free virtual skin consultation with a PURE esthetician! Discuss your skin concerns, receive free product samples, and a discount off your first order! )
- Treat – Give yourself the luxury treatment once or twice a week by using Eminence Organics facial masks. These masques will deliver an intense dose of nutrients and moisture to your skin – and many of them can be slept in so you can soak it up all night long!
- Moisturize – Now for the grand finale – your moisturizer! Using not only a hydrating moisturize, but also a moisturizer with sun protectant properties is so important during the winter months. Just because the sun isn’t as strong as it is in the summer doesn’t mean sun damage can’t occur. We recommend Eminence’s Tropical Vanilla Day Cream because it moisturizes, protects from the sun, and smells ahh-mazing!
Don’t Forget About Your Body
While your face is the main culprit to get dried out by winter winds and dry air, it is important not to neglect the rest of your body! While your face is extremely sensitive, skin in places such as hands, elbows, knees and feet can feel the effects of the winter months too (don’t forget about your neck!). We’re talking exfoliation and hydration, baby! Here are some of our go- to products that will help you take care of your body wholly and completely!
Cranberry Pomegranate Sugar Scrub
Vitamin-rich cranberry and pomegranate enriches your skin’s appearance, while a raw sugar scrub exfoliates and buffs. Key ingredients such as sweet almond and grape seed oil help to bring moisture back into your skin. The physical exfoliant of sugar also contains a chemical exfoliant. This means the raw cane sugar granules contain Alpha Hydroxy Acid or AHAs that naturally exfoliate your skin.
Monoi Night Body Cream
This award-winning, ultra-rich night body cream with our exclusive Anti-Aging Stem Cell Complex leaves skin looking denser, firmer and smoother. Monoi, a fragrant Tahitian oil hydrates and firms the appearance of skin while argan and evening primrose oils moisturize.
Our products are made with only the highest quality natural ingredients!
Be an informed consumer; read the labels!